This year’s annual report was not nearly as exiting as last year’s. While the busiest day’s top post was unrelated, once again, the reason for February 13th being the top view date is due to Code4Lib. Continue reading
This week, I would’ve written a blog post, but ended up doing some paper craft instead!
I don’t think I really realized how important ergonomics are until these past couple of weeks. Unfortunately, the setup at work is less than ideal, and my neck and shoulders have been in a lot of pain this week. Continue reading
It felt a lot longer than 18 months with the amount of stuff that happened. The list of activities and projects at for my one year review was definitely a lot longer than I expected. I’m not sure I even know where to begin, but maybe I should begin at the beginning. Continue reading
While I had planned to post this week, it just didn’t happen. Between moving back out west and my computer dying on me, I just haven’t found the time. Next week, I hope…
Forgive me for not posting this week. I feel like I’m still trying to get back into the swing of things.
Sadly, I can no longer embed the comic: Falling Apart
The WordPress.com stats helper monkeys prepared a 2012 annual report for this blog.
Here’s an excerpt:
4,329 films were submitted to the 2012 Cannes Film Festival. This blog had 32,000 views in 2012. If each view were a film, this blog would power 7 Film Festivals
No surprise that the Twitter, and WordPress plugin posts got the most views. However, the blog hit a high of 590 views in a day due to the Code4Libcon 2012 Opening Keynote post.
I didn’t quite realize either that I made 89 posts in 2012, since my goal is one per week!
In moving our website to WordPress, I wanted to create a theme that could be used by our staff when working on online projects which would sit outside our main website, but in which we would host. Obviously they have the option of using other themes, but then someone (likely from our team) would have to make sure it meets accessibility guidelines, and as there are very few of those, I thought it best to just make our theme flexible.
This is just a disclaimer that the main reason we could even do this is because we do not have a Common Look & Feel policy from the university administration, which most universities do. On the flip side, that’s one reason I wanted to do it. I would like that the library “products” are recognized as such. Doing it through a theme would also provide a more consistent user experience across the sites that use the library’s theme.
Our existing site already used a consistent header. However, it also includes the “Ask Us” logo, which would take you to the “Ask Us” page with all the myriad ways to contact the library for help. For other sites, it’s more likely that they will want to list specific contact instead, so I added an option to remove it.
In addition, of course, for any sites using the theme, they will want the name of their site in the header, so I added a text box input for that in the options page and used font-face to pick a different font to make it stand out a little more.
The navigation was built into the original theme so that you can either use a custom menu or it will fallback to using pages. However, the way our sites are made, some of the subpages menus would have been so long as to go past the end of the page, so I added the option to take out submenus.
Finally, the original website search bar redirects the user to the university’s Google search of the library’s directory, so I made the option to change it to the standard WordPress search bar to search within the current site.
Since each site may have different links in the footer, I also made an option to include custom links in the footer, such that the ‘Home’ link is the only hard-coded link (which is always the link of the home page of the site you’re on).
While it’s possible to make the social media buttons customizable, until there is a demand or need, I decided to simply put in the option to take them all out.
The rest of the footer (copyright) is always there. Again, unless there is a demand or need, I didn’t make the copyright holder changeable.
As many sections of our website (e.g. catalogue/OPAC, Research Guides) are not part of the CMS, I am currently working on taking the WordPress template (minus the options) and creating a plain HTML and then a ColdFusion template to use in those sections.