It’s come up recently that we might consider revising our logo. I saw a coworker playing around with it and thought I’d give it a try. Continue reading Musing: Playing Around with the NNELS Logo
Was supposed to post this last week, but didn’t actually have time. Big thanks to Terry Reese (MarcEdit developer) who helped me over twitter of all things. While not the most complicated, I just couldn’t find any documentation on this, so here it is. Continue reading Using MarcEdit to Populate (Sub)fields Using Data from Fixed Fields
I started writing this blog post quite a while ago as you can tell from the intro, but I had forgotten about it and decided to recently finish it.
Listening to the talks at Code4LibBC last week, I began to think about open data and collections, but then starting to also think about the role of libraries and the idea that it’s a public space.
Continue reading Open Everything in Libraries
Can you tell I’ve been doing a lot of MARC work? Continue reading Using Regex in MarcEdit to Fix Repeated Subfields in MARC records
This was originally presented as an online workshop for the Center for Instructional Development & Distance Education, University of Pittsburgh on February 5, 2015. If you’re familiar with my presentations, everything up to and including the introduction to universal design is quite similar to my past presentations (especially the most recent one). However, after that, this presentation focuses solely on creating content, both online (such as using WordPress) and using software (such as Microsoft Word). As you can imagine, this presentation was geared towards non-technical users, going into much more detail on content guidelines than in any of my other presentations, and for UPitt faculty and staff. Continue reading Presentation: Making Accessible Content Easy and Part of Your Work
Over the weekend, I decided to change my theme from the WordPress TwentyThirteen to TwentyFifteen. I switched mainly because I wanted a more accessible theme, and also because I was getting tired of looking at the Thirteen one. Another nice feature was the menu and sidebar integration. It may actually take up more space, but it also forced me to re-evaluate what I thought was important and what I could simply leave out. (I now have 1 widget as opposed to 5.)
Anyway, that’s not the reason I’m writing. The reason for that is that over the weekend I found a bug, filed it, and it was closed in 22 hours! Continue reading Building Community by Providing Great Experiences
This was presented as a webinar for the Education Institute on Thursday, January 22, 2015. This presentation is mostly an amalgamation of the Access 2014 and LibTechConf 2014 presentations. There are a couple of small sections (namely analytics, how ever did I forget about that?) that have been added, but a lot of it is recap for those who have seen my presentations before. Continue reading Making Web Services Accessible With Universal Design
This was presented as a webinar for the Education Institute on Thursday, January 15. I metaphorically twisted Tamarack Hockin’s arm into presenting on the more interesting and practical parts of this topic. Continue reading Remix the Web! Using Mozilla Webmaker for Library Workshops & Programming
So there does exist a document already on this topic, Getting OCLC numbers into your vendor records using MarcEdit but I found the instructions difficult to refer to. I ended up writing my own version with the added instructions on creating a set of MARC records specifically for this purpose. After doing this sort of thing again today, I finally decided to share them. Continue reading Merging Control Numbers into Records Using MarcEdit